(Research) Cryptography engineer
Are you a blockchain startup looking to hire?
Clearmatics is a protocol engineering company. We are building a new financial market architecture that is more open, fair, and resilient than the legacy systems that are in use today. We develop protocols and software that create new markets for risk and more efficient infrastructure for trading, backed by a robust and scalable blockchain network, and secured with modern cryptographic techniques and economic mechanism design.
Clearmatics is based in London but operates on a ‘remote first’ model. We welcome candidates from all over the world. We have close ties to the Open Source and Ethereum communities, with Vitalik Buterin as an adviser
The Research group at Clearmatics is dedicated to developing solutions to the hard problems needed to advance our mission. We are academics and protocol engineers collaborating with teams inside and outside the company to translate theoretical results into running software implementations. Our work spans cryptography, game-theory, (computer) networking, identity systems and secure software implementation research, with a focus on their domain applications in financial markets.
We’re looking to hire a Cryptography Engineer to expand our Research team.
You are an experienced cryptography engineer, who loves challenges and has a research-oriented mindset. You cultivate an adversarial attitude, always thinking ahead and trying to exploit the code you write and protocols you design. You always look forward to making your code more efficient without compromising on readability and robustness. Code quality and consistency mean everything to you.
Above all, you are a truth seeker and an outstanding communicator/listener not afraid of challenging (and being challenged by) your peers. Unconditional lover of simplicity and robustness, you never miss an opportunity to learn and extend your knowledge basis.
– Assist in the design of cryptographic protocols.
– Collaborate with your colleagues on the implementation of cryptographic primitives and protocols.
– Produce technical design specifications.
– Produce externally facing artefacts (e.g. blog posts, papers, documentation excerpts etc.)
– Support research colleagues in conducting their research.
– Interface with the Engineering team to ease the transition of the research pieces of code into robust production software fully integrated with our stack.
– Keep up with new research in the space.
– Fluency in English (written and spoken).
– Background in applied Computer Science.
– Experience with system programming (C/C++/Rust).
– Strong applied cryptography skills (experience implementing robust elliptic curve cryptography).
– Outstanding algorithmic thinking.
– Strong focus on code quality/documentation and simplicity.
Nice to haves
– Knowledge of Unix and bash.
– Experience with constant time cryptography.
– Experience with cryptography on embedded systems.
– Experience with Ethereum or other blockchain projects.
– Experience contributing to open-source cryptography libraries.
– Experience with Python/SageMath.
What we value at Clearmatics:
– Collaboration and respect.
– Honesty & Humility.
– Ability to challenge ideas.
– Willingness to deliver robust solutions.
– Passion for the technology and its challenges.
– Continuous improvement and learning.